Very excited to be partnering with the Elk River Arts Alliance for our “Live By Lunch!” website building workshop.
Instructor: Aaron Smith
Adult 16+. Build a fully-functional and easily-edited website in one power-packed morning. In this hand-on training workshop you will be guided through the steps to get a live portfolio, business or blog site up and running by lunch! We’ll be using WordPress and their free WordPress.com service to build a website that you can edit yourself, when you want, to display your artwork, promote your business, and/or allow you to get started as a blogger, spreading your good ideas across the internet!
Your instructor is Aaron Smith of Smitty’s Workshop, an artist, designer, website builder and advocate for web publishing for all. Smitty will provide step-by-step instructions, insights, tips, cheat sheets and advice to help you after you’ve left the workshop and are editing on your own.
- A wi-fi enabled laptop. You will need to be able to connect to the ERAAA wi-fi network. Mac or PC will both work – just need a modern web browser installed (FireFox recommended.)
- An active email address that you can check from that laptop. (One that hasn’t been used at WordPress.com before)
- Some written content about yourself, your company, your mission, your art that you can copy & paste into your new site
- Digital image files of your portfolio pieces or photos that describe your business or passion that you want to upload to your site (let’s start with approx. 10 images to get you started if you’ve got them – they should already be scanned or copied onto your laptop before you arrive at the workshop) – some written content about these would also be good.
- A photo of yourself, or your staff (or your family!) that you can upload into your site (if desired)
- An idea of what you want your “URL” (website address) to be. i.e…”mygreatsite.wordpress.com” (We will discuss how to create your own URL (without the “wordpress” part) at the workshop.
If you have Photoshop or other image editing software on your laptop, GREAT! If not, have no fear, we can use online image editors to help you set up images for your site.